Welcome to GYBO!
We are a friendly and sociable walking group aimed at people in their 20s, 30s and the young at heart, welcoming walkers from across North and East Yorkshire.
The group is part of The Ramblers Association (a registered charity) and is run entirely by our members who volunteer their time to lead walks and organise social events.
You can also join our group on Facebook, where you can keep in touch with other group members, share photos, and arrange lifts.
Update from the committeeHere are the key points from the January 2018 committee meeting:
- Walk dates:
- going forward we will aim to have 2 walks every month on the 1st and 3rd weekends of each month, the dates will be published on the website. We feel that this will allow time for people to recce walks on the non-walk weekends. However, if you were to want to lead a walk on another date that is fine, and if there are no free dates then we can add extra walks in.
- Summer long distance walk:
- This year we have picked the Yorkshire Wolds Way, which runs from Hull to Filey. Watch the website and Facebook for details of the sections and how to get involved. As with previous year we like to give new walk leaders first refusal on the sections as they are generally easier to lead as they are way marked.
- Navigation days:
- We will be planning a basic navigation skills date later in the year, this will take the form of some map theory followed by practical map work.
- Monthly socials:
- York- The York social has now been moved to the Cross Keys on Tadcaster Road, with a new start time of 7:30pm. Please be aware you need to log your car registration at the bar if driving.
- Hull- Due to a lack of interest in the Hull socials we have decided to pause them for a few months. If anyone has any suggestions for a new venue or ways to improve attendance please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Just for fun:
This year we have decided to have the GYBO Awards at our yearly AGM, there
will be 6 categories. The last 3 will be decided by you our members, there will be Facebook
polls set up nearer to the AGM date so you add your nominations. Below are the categories-
- Longest Walk
- Most People
- Most Walks Lead
- Best Café/Pub
- Muddiest Walk
- Best view
If you have any suggestions email us at email@example.com or speak to one of us on a walk