Welcome to GYBO!
We are a friendly and sociable walking group aimed at people in their 20s, 30s and the young at heart, welcoming walkers from across North and East Yorkshire.
The group is part of The Ramblers Association (a registered charity) and is run entirely by our members who volunteer their time to lead walks and organise social events.
You can also join our group on Facebook, where you can keep in touch with other group members, share photos, and arrange lifts.
Update from the committeeHere are the key points from the January 2018 committee meeting:
- Walk dates:
- going forward we will aim to have 2 walks every month on the 1st and 3rd weekends of each month, the dates will be published on the website. We feel that this will allow time for people to recce walks on the non-walk weekends. However, if you were to want to lead a walk on another date that is fine, and if there are no free dates then we can add extra walks in.
- Summer long distance walk:
- This year we have picked the Yorkshire Wolds Way, which runs from Hull to Filey. Watch the website and Facebook for details of the sections and how to get involved. As with previous year we like to give new walk leaders first refusal on the sections as they are generally easier to lead as they are way marked.
- Navigation days:
- We will be planning a basic navigation skills date later in the year, this will take the form of some map theory followed by practical map work.
- Monthly socials:
- York- The York social has now been moved to the Cross Keys on Tadcaster Road, with a new start time of 7:30pm. Please be aware you need to log your car registration at the bar if driving.
- Hull- Due to a lack of interest in the Hull socials we have decided to pause them for a few months. If anyone has any suggestions for a new venue or ways to improve attendance please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Just for fun:
This year we have decided to have the GYBO Awards at our yearly AGM, there
will be 6 categories. The last 3 will be decided by you our members, there will be Facebook
polls set up nearer to the AGM date so you add your nominations. Below are the categories-
- Longest Walk
- Most People
- Most Walks Lead
- Best Café/Pub
- Muddiest Walk
- Best view
If you have any suggestions email us at email@example.com or speak to one of us on a walk
Friday 10 August 2018
- Jennifer Rayner
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Telephone: 07925558422
- It is £1,200 for the three nights for group Sole Occupancy. So if there are 19 of us then the price will be £63 each for the full weekend. However this will go up if less people come. Final price will be confirmed later. A £25 deposit per person is required when you book your place (non - refundable).
Saturday - The plan for Saturday is to do an 11 mile walk up Waun Oer taking in the magnificent ridge of Maesglase with its waterfall via
Craig Portas and Maen du. It is an accent of 939m (3100ft) but we do start relatively high to begin with. It is the 87th highest peak in
Wales giving views of the whole of Snowdonia (if not cloudy). The ridge that links the two peaks has great views on either side - if you do not
like heights then I would not advise it.
Sunday - On the Sunday it is either a 9.2 mile (or 7.2 mile if the weather is bad), climbing to the summit of Cadair Idris. We go via Llyn Cau which
is a beautiful glacial lake well worth a visit, then follow the ridge of Mynydd Pencoed and Tal-y-Llyn Lake (Llyn Mwyngil) full accent of
2,900ft. This one is steep in places on ascending but we dont go back the way we came up, instead the descent is much nicer on the knees.
Monday - The Monday is a more relaxing day travelling to Betwsy Coed for a toboggan woodland ride at Zipworld Www.zipworld.co.uk/adventure/fforest-coaster It costs £20 per rider and includes 3 runs of approx 6 minutes each, reaching speeds of up to 25mph. Please contact Jenny asap if you would like to do the toboggan ride so she can do a group booking, payment will be required in advance. For those that don't fancy the tobogganing, there are a variety of other activities on offer which can be booked separately.